TIPS THAT *ACTUALLY* WORK TO START YOUR DAYS FEELING CALM AND ENERGIZED
The way that you start your day sets up the energy for the rest of your day.
Think about it: when you start frazzled, in a hurry, rushed, you end feeling that same way during the day. Rushing, frazzled and unfocused.
When you start on your time, calm, connected, well-nourished, your days feel much more intentional.
Image by Natanja Grün
YOUR DAY STARTS THE NIGHT BEFORE
Every time, I work with a coaching client that wants to improve their morning routine, we start by reviewing first their night-time routine.
I always say "your day starts the night before"
Think about it: if you have a heavy meal late at night, fall asleep on the couch scrolling on your phone and without setting your alarm. You wake up frazzled, stressed and with neck pain 😆
Now, if you eat an early nourishing dinner, take a nice hot shower, turn off electronics and cozy up to a book, you wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day.
PREPPING FOR A JOYFUL MORNING
I have worked with countless of coaching clients that weren't 'morning people' but wanted to have a happy, productive, calm morning.
They went from sleeping in, snoozing, running late out the door while scarfing down a triple americano with a protein bar to actually enjoying their mornings and starting work with a calm focused energy.
HOW TO GO FROM FRAZZLED, ROLL OUT OF BED TO OWNING YOUR DAY
Start by reviewing your night-time routine and reflect on these prompts:
- what time do you finish work or the days activities?
- how do you prep for dinner? take out, cooking, a protein shake
- what are ways for you to unwind? watching a movie, calling a friend, doing a puzzle
- what's a reasonable hour to put away electronics? 1 hour before bed?
- how many hours do you need of sleep to feel rested?
- what helps you feel relaxed? (like candles, relaxing music, a nice cup of tea)
Now, let's do the same for the morning. Reflect on these prompts:
- how much time does it take you to get ready? count shower, ironing, etc
- do you like to cook breakfast or a simple protein shake works for you?
- what activities do you like to do in the morning? (yoga, journaling, tapping)
- how long does it take you to get to work? (are you commuting or do WFH?)
- do you wake up as soon as your alarm goes off or do you snooze?
TEST, TEST, TEST
Now that you've taken time to reflect and get clear on your goals, I want you to start testing it out.
Pick a week, a regular Monday - Friday and begin to test out your reflections.
For example, does it really take you 30 minutes to get ready or actually you get ready in 15 minutes?
You thought that you're well rested with 6 hours of sleep but actually, the additional 2 hours hit the sweet spot.
Getting your coffee ready the night before (water in the nespresso, cup on the counter, cinnamon next to it) saves you 10 minutes that you can use to snooze instead of rush.
All of these results and reflections add up to *actually* knowing you your best and what works best for you to start the day very calm, intentionally and on your terms.
Once you start testing and understanding yourself better, you get to do the things that work for you and give yourself the space, the time, the leverage to start your days feeling the best.
Remember: the way you start your days is the way that you end your days so make time to reflect on what works for you and follow your own guidelines to have your mornings work for you!
I'd love to hear from you! How do you start your days?
May you follow your joy - always & in all ways!
PS: Ready to live Life Your Way? Join me this Thursday 11/10 for the Life Your Way Masterclass hosted with my dear friend, coach & reiki practitioner Kitty Gonzalez.